The Nedlands Croquet Club was formed in 1930 by twelve women in a garden in The Avenue, Nedlands.
Two years later, the Club relocated to its current premises at 4 Gilmore Lane near the corner of Melvista Avenue and Bruce Street.
There were only two croquet lawns and the facilities were maintained by the local authority. Many years later, the local authority (now the City of Nedlands), increased the number of lawns from two to four.
In 1945, a second croquet club – the Hollywood Croquet Club on Smythe Road, began operations within the local authority’s boundaries .
In 1960, the City of Nedlands replaced Nedlands Croquet Club’s small, temporary clubhouse with the present permanent building.
In 1980, the City of Nedlands faced a small funding crisis and could no longer afford to maintain two croquet clubs within its boundaries. The resolution reached in 1982 saw the Hollywood Croquet Club absorbed into the Nedlands Croquet Club and the assets of that club added to the Nedlands Croquet Club.
At the end of 2009, the relationship between the City of Nedlands and the Nedlands Croquet Club changed again. On 31 December 2009, the Club took over a 10 year peppercorn lease of the premises but with total responsibility for maintenance of lawns and buildings.
In 2012, the Club erected floodlights for its four lawns to attract a younger demographic who work during the day, and to allow all players to enjoy the game outside the heat of the sun.